Practicing energy efficiency at home can make a huge difference in your household energy bills. Contrary to what you probably believe, you do not need to make a big investment in money or time for you to lessen the energy you are using.
Here are some easy tips that can help you save a lot on your hydro bills:
- Wash at a lower temperature to use less electricity. You’d be surprised to know that just by simply lowering the temperature from 40ºC to 30ºC you can already save about a third of a cycle’s cost!
- Unplug unused appliances. Yes, that includes chargers of any kind! Take note that all appliances that have a stand-by light or are hot to the touch use energy even when they’re just plugged in and not actually used.
- Get a proper insulation for your home. Effective insulation can save you a huge amount in your energy bills while keeping your family more comfortable too.
- If you are using storage heaters, use them efficiently by just keeping the input constant at the amount you require and turning the output down to its minimum when not in use. You can also opt to turn it off at the wall.
- Before making an appliance purchase, check its label to be sure that what you are getting is an energy-efficient product. This is especially important when it comes to appliances like freezers and refrigerators.
- Keep your exterior doors and windows tightly closed when you are using an air conditioner. Add more savings by turning kitchen and bath exhaust fans.
- Replace standard light bulbs with ones that are proven to be energy-efficient. You can find ones that are specific for indoor and outdoor uses as well.
- Use microwave or toaster ovens and pressure cookers instead of the conventional oven which uses a lot more energy.
- Consider getting high-performance windows instead of replacing your air conditioning system. Not only will it reduce the size and cost necessary for an AC, it will also protect wood and upholstery from harmful UV rays.
These are only nine of the hundreds of ways you can save energy at home. Do you know any other? Share your ideas!